Our Lady of Hope/St. Luke is an interparish school located in the industrial southeastern area of Baltimore County. The school provides education to students within five Catholic parishes throughout the region, to include of Our Lady of Hope Parish in Dundalk, St. Luke in Edgemere, St. Rita’s, Our Lady of Fatima and Sacred Heart of Mary.
Until the 1940’s, St. Rita was the only Catholic parish in the Dundalk area. In order to address the needs of the growing population after World War II, St. Rita established two mission churches, St. Adrian in Inverness and St. Mildred in Gray Manor. Effective June 3, 1948, Reverend Thomas Zinkand was appointed pastor of both churches, each a separate and distinct parish. Father Zinkand determined that the first need for the area was a Catholic School.
A 22 acre tract of land was purchased on Lynch Road in 1950. Finally, in March, 1953, the children of St. Mildred and St. Adrian parishes, equipped with small sand shovels, helped Father Zinkhand break ground for the school. Arrangements were made for the school to be staffed by the School Sisters of Notre Dame. Sister Mary Claverine, the first principal, and two sisters arrived on August 14, 1954, to prepare for opening day on September 7, 1954. The school and convent were officially named “Our Lady of Hope on”. The school employed two sisters and three lay teachers. The enrollment for the first year numbered 221 students in kindergarten through grade four.