If you want to volunteer with children (even one time) you must be in compliance with Archdiocesan policy for the protection of children and youth. Archdiocesan policy requires that volunteers whose service includes any contact with children must complete the online course, Shield the Vulnerable. Please note that the Shield the Vulnerable program is replacing the STAND program. All school volunteers and employees are required to take the online Shield the Vulnerable course, even if the STAND training course has been completed in the past. Instructions for completing the program are below:
Register as an OLH/SLS volunteer at www.shieldthevulnerable.org
1. Select First-Time Signup
2. Select Catholic Dioceses
3. Select Baltimore Archdiocese, then select Confirm
4. You will then see a letter from Archbishop Lori. After reading his letter, select NEXT.
5. User Login Data section: You will create your own login-ID and password. Once all
requested information is completed, select Next Step.
6. Affiliation section: Select Volunteer as User Type.
7. Select the appropriate Location Type, Where Located, and Location Name.
8. Because you are working with children, select Substantial contact w/children. Then
select Next Step.
9. You will be asked, “Do you volunteer at another location?” If you will be serving at
another location, repeat steps 6 – 8 for that location.
10. Application Info section: You will be asked, “Are you a new volunteer?” Select Yes.
11. Answer the three questions for volunteers/employees and provide three references.
Then select, Next Step. NOTE: If you include email addresses for your references,
the reference checks will be sent via email. Otherwise, they will be mailed via USPS.
12. Summary/Confirm section: Review your information. If it is correct, select Accept
and then Confirm Signup.
13. Background Check Registration/Criminal History Screening: Complete the
background check form and authorization. Enter your electronic signature, then
choose I Consent to the Background Check or I DO NOT Consent to the Background
Check. (If you do not consent to the background check, you may not serve as a
volunteer who will have substantial contact with children.)
14. Next you will need to complete Protect the Children: STAND online training.
15. Once you have finished the training, you will be asked to read the Archdiocese of
Baltimore’s child and youth protection policies: A Statement of Policy for the
Protection of Children and Youth and the Code of Conduct for Church Personnel in
the Archdiocese of Baltimore.
Thank you for your service to our School. Please contact Connie Beam at (410) 288-2793 or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.